St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral was founded in 1905 and is the first and original Greek Orthodox Christian parish of...
St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral was founded in 1905 and is the first and original Greek Orthodox Christian parish of the Tampa-St. Petersburg area. The present Cathedral was completed during WWII, in 1943. Much of the interior marble, including the iconostasis (icon screen), is from the Greek pavilion of the 1939 World's Fair in New York City. The Cathedral contains actual relics of St. Nicholas of Myra and is a point of pilgrimage for those who seek the intercessions of this most beloved of Christian saints. The Cathedral tower is the tallest architectural structure in Tarpon Springs and serves as the heart of the downtown and city. In the plaza to the north of the Cathedral is the famous "Cross Diver" statue which captures the pinnacle of the annual Epiphany Day (January 6) celebration for which the St. Nicholas Cathedral parish is known the world over. At the base of the statue are the names of young men - Orthodox Christian and non-Orthodox Christian - who made the supreme sacrifice during World War II.